Reset Dell PowerConnect Switch to Factory Settings

Xavier Mustin

Administrator
Staff member
This leads to the next step. You will need to configure your terminal emulator’s line settings to 9600,8,n,1. You can see the settings below that I found configured in my Dell PowerConnect switch:

console> show line
Console configuration:
Interactive timeout: 10 minute(s)
History: 10
Baudrate: 9600
Databits: 8
Parity: none
Stopbits: 1
This should get you connected to serial console.

Reset Dell PowerConnect Switch to Factory Settings
The next step after connecting with the terminal emulator was to reset the switch to factory default settings. We do this by deleting the startup-config file and then reloading the switch as shown below:

console> en
console# delete startup-config
console# reload
This will reset the switch to factory default settings. Now, it’s time to configure it with an address:

Assign Ip Address to Dell PowerConnect Switch VLAN 1 Interface
The next step that I took was to assign an IP Address to the VLAN 1 interface. First, I just checked to see if an address was assigned already:

console> en

console# show ip interface

Gateway IP Address Activity status Type
----------------------- ----------------------- --------

IP Address I/F Type
----------------------- -------------------- ---------
Nope, no addresses configured on any interface. So let’s configure one:

console> en
console# configure
console(config)# interface vlan 1
console(config-if)# ip address 10.2.3.4 255.255.252.0
console(config-if)# ip default-gateway 10.2.3.1
Now, we make sure that it took:

console(config-if)# exit
console(config)# exit
console# show ip interface vlan 1

Gateway IP Address Activity status Type
----------------------- ----------------------- --------
10.2.3.1 Active static

IP Address Type
----------------------- ---------
10.2.3.4/22 Static
Enable WebGUI Admin User on a Dell PowerConnect Switch

At this point, I plugged in an ethernet cable from my workstation to interface e1 of the switch. I configured a static address on my workstation and verified that I could ping the switch’s VLAN 1 IP Address. I then took my browser and directed it to the switch’s ip address. I found that while I could browse to it, I couldn’t login.

So, back to the serial console to enable an admin user for login to the web gui.

console> en
console# config
console(config)# ip http authentication local
console(config)# username admin password mypassword level 15
That did it. I returned to the browser and am now able to login successfully with the web gui to complete my configuration!

At this point, I don’t want to lose any of the work that I have done on my PowerConnect switch, so I will now save my work by copying the running-config to the startup-config.

console> en

console# copy running-config startup-config
Overwrite file [startup-config] ?[Yes/press any key for no]....01-Jan-2000 01:38:40 %COPY-I-FILECPY: Files Copy - source URL r
unning-config destination URL flash://startup-config
01-Jan-2000 01:38:47 %COPY-N-TRAP: The copy operation was completed successfully
Copy succeeded
That’s it. My Dell PowerConnect switch is configured with a new ip address on VLAN 1, and I can login successfully using my browser. I am now ready to add any site-specific configuration that I need for my specific needs.